Monday 10 March 2014

From there to here - family

Ok, I have been thinking and decided to do a couple of catch up posts.  As my last post in 2011 talked about my Mum it seems to make sense to do a quick update on that side of things and then talk about our new 'project'!

I should just say in my defence of letting this blog lapse that I did start up another one about my glass making, but recently thought that this blog here could suit two purposes, one to talk about life in deepest darkest Devon and the other to talk about my glass work, so that's why I am back (hooray I hear you cry - I hope!).

Well on the family front my (now) 93 year old father was coping very well on his own thank you very much, still driving, getting the paper, doing some light shopping - I did a fornightly (that's every two weeks by the way) supermarket shop until last June when he suddenly went off and we had no idea why (later on it was decided that he had had a small stroke which didn't affect his mobility (as such), but caused him to become very confused and unable to look after himself.  I spent weeks doing a 3 hour round trip several times a week to visit him in the little community hospital where we managed to get him a bed (a fine little hospital it was too). 

We (including him when he was able) decided that the best thing to do was for him to go into a home (not an easy decision I can tell you and as those of you who have had to deal with this will know) but the most practical; to be honest I suspect that was what he had wanted for a bit and he had raised it but I had always refused to accept the idea.  Long and the short of it was that whilst in the throws of moving house and in the middle of a heat wave, I was also trying to find Dad the best I could in a care home (and I can tell you that I have seen a few in my time as an NVQ assessor for care staff!).  I did find him one about 20 minutes away and moved him up here (no help from our lovely ambulance service I have to say which resulted in a rather nasty experience in a public loo, least said about it the better really) at the end of July.  Now he has the lovely staff at his beck and call with a view over a lake full of ducks and geese and swans to watch, good food and a comfortable bed and me visiting twice a week and other family members when they can.  Once the weather gets better we will get him out and about for some trips (I am so impressed with the home that I have reserved my room already ;) ).

I know there will be people out there who have been through this and much worse (at least Dad, now, it completely back to normal now mentally and has a wicked sense of humour).  It is so hard to put a parent (parents) into care, feels like a bit of a failure (but there was no way we could have looked after him here).  Also so hard to think of that vibrant, highly intelligent, wonderful man reduced to an old man sitting in a chair in one room.  I just have to remember that he is getting the best care and he is happy (and safe) and that's the most important thing.


No comments: