Monday 13 April 2009

March to April

Been very remiss and not updated this for ages so very busy.

I have just started a new job, one day a week at a local college. Trying to fit in the one day with all the other work I have right now is going to be a challenge but exciting (I hope). I really shouldn't complain with other people loosing their jobs all over the country and I have managed to get a new one.

Been busy too on the wine making front with the gorse wine just gone on the ferment. Dandelion will be started after St Georges day (as this is traditionally the day for picking Dandelions for wine making). Elderberry and Runner bean bottled today, a lovely colour but very very dry. I am very naughty in my wine making, I always forget to take the OG so have no idea how strong it is but it tastes strong and the final SG was 995 so shows how dry it is. The other wines are still in demijohns but the blackberry, marrow and the apple will be bottled next weekend. The tea (very sweet still so restarted) and the peach (very thin) and the banana (very interesting!) still have a while to go. Once the oak leaves start coming out that will be another one on the list. I have also sowed a lot of courgette seeds as the marrow is really nice so will want to make more later this year.

Speaking of the veggie patch, M made a great raised bed (only one as we have run out of our free timber) which has at least solved the bog garden problem for the salad stuff. The spuds are in, as are the following; runner beans (coming up), french beans (not coming up yet), peas, courgettes, beetroot, radishes, garlic (up), rocket, lettuce, carrots, hot mix (coming up), spring onions (coming up), shallots (up and doing well if the chickens don't manage to dig them up). M's tomatoes and chillis are doing well too.
The garden (and the hedgerows) are also full of flowers, daffs, primroses (hundreds of them), grape hyacinths and lots and lots of celandine's. It really is very beautiful. I can't wait until the foxgloves come out, they were fantastic last year.The farmers are also busy round here as you would imagine, there are plenty of lambs about but it seems that our local sheep farmer is still lambing (bit late really, think it should finish soon). Some farmers have put their cattle out but the farmer who rents the fields that belong to this house hasn't yet. He has been busy though fertilising the fields and rolling them. Now this just goes to show what a townie I was (still am!). When I saw fields like this I used to think they had been mowed - of course they hadn't (not at this time of year) they were rolling them. At least I know now. Mind you it does look like an enormous cricket pitch.

I also decided to have a go at making 'hobnob' type biscuits (I have never made any kind of biscuits before). I rather forgot about the effects of self raising flour and so they rather 'merged' on the baking tray. Have to say though that they were very good and M ate two in one go. Next time I might try putting chocolate on top!!!!!





No comments: