Tuesday 15 February 2011

Appledore

Haven't really thought much of Appledore before but have to confess have only really driven through it, or parked up when going sea fishing from there.  You can see that the village might be interesting looking up the narrow streets from the sea front where you park, but just have never done it.  Also Appledore is well known as a second home mecca so there must be something to it.  

Admittedly in recent years it has become known for it's literary festival; sadly this year this has been cancelled due to lack of funds, but it was becoming as well known as Hay or Cheltenham.
So yesterday, we both had the day off and wanted to go for lunch somewhere; no not a romantic valentines day lunch just lunch! M decided that he wanted to go to Appledore as he told me he had found a good pub; I couldn't quite believe it as had never seen one that looked good, but he assured me so we went.

Well, there is more to Appledore than meets the eye as I discovered!  If you park your car in the car park at the end of the harbourside or on the road and walk to your left you find a narrow side streets lined with tiny houses, most of which, sadly, seemed to be holiday homes.  There is a tiny tiny one called the dolls house with has been squeezed into the smallest of spaces and yes, this too is a holiday home.  There are two pubs down this narrow street and we went into The Beaver and had a good (if rather large) lunch.  There were good views out across the estuary and out to sea and we could watch the weather coming in, one of our favorite pastimes.  Off these narrow side streets you also catch glimpses of little courtyards and cobbled streets, very pretty. At the end of this street, past the pubs, you come to the RNLI station which you can visit and look around.

All in all a good day out and nice to see a bit more of Appledore; no more will I think there is nothing there!

3 comments:

Di said...

Lotti, I used to display my wooden bowls in the Appledore Crafts Company shop - did you see that?

Did quite well there but the arrangement was working in the shop one Saturday a month, twice a month in high season. Sounds great now but at the time I was working full-time and doing shifts. It nearly killed me. I haven't got the gall to go back with me silver ;-)

Lotti said...

Maybe we could go back together! I missed that, I guess it's in the area where the road goes infront of the houses?

Di said...

It's in Bude Street - just up from the quay