Sunday 21 June 2009

'Hob Nob' recipe by request

As requested by one of my readers here is the recipe for 'hob nobs' which comes from a very kind poster on the 'Creative Living' Forum. I usually make half the amount as there is only two of us!

Apologies for the amounts in imperial measures, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert them to metric but I still like the old measures and that is how the recipe was written.

8oz SR flour
8oz sugar
8oz porridge oats
8oz butter
1tbsp syrup
1tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

mix flour, sugar, oats and bic of soda in a bowl, melt butter with the syrup and hot water very gently, don't let it get too hot. Pour the liquid ingredients onto the dry ingredients, mix well and form into balls the size of walnuts (where I went 'wrong' as I was obviously used to very large walnuts!!!!). Put onto a greased tray and flatten with a fork dipped in cold water (I use my fingers!).

Bake at 180 degrees c, gas mark 4 for 15 minutes, leave on the tray for a minute then put on a rack to cool.

Honey can be used instead of syrup, the lady who posted this recipe said that she sometimes adds chopped almonds, cinnamon or ginger. She gets 45 biscuits from this recipe.

For my last batch I think I had a too little syrup so they are now rather hard!!! The first ones went rather flat and were a bit too sweet for our taste but on experience with reducing the syrup I wouldn't do this next time but might reduce the sugar a little bit. I guess you could use brown sugar instead of white which would be nice.

They are so easy to make, take so little time and are so much more 'cost effective' than the bought ones I would make these every time now and not bother with bought biscuits (not that we eat that many anyway). They seem to keep well for a while in an airtight box.

Happy baking and eating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Excellent... I've been looking for a half decent hob nob recipe and this looks the bees knees. Will attempt this weekend, with added chocolate