Sunday 21 June 2009

Scone recipe

Now I cannot make scones and M loves them especially as cream tea. We have such lovely local clotted cream and our own strawberry jam I made last year I really had to find a recipe that worked.

A friend gave me this recipe and certainly the first time I made them they exploded and were lovely and fresh and light and yummy. For some reason (and I think I have some ideas, ie left them in too long and put them too close to the bottom of the oven) the last two attempts haven't been that good, but still very edible, and after all they are really only an excuse to eat clotted cream!!!!

8oz plain flour
2oz butter
2 level tsp baking powder
1 rounded tblspn caster sugar
pinch salt

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and whizz to a crumble. Add 1 egg (free range of course!) and 100 - 15oml milk. NOW, the thing with the liquid ingredients is that I find you need to put the egg in first and the with the food processor whizzing, slowly add the milk until the noise the processor makes changes, otherwise you end up with a mixture that is too wet and then you have to add more flour and then it all goes wrong (another mistake I made once). You want a mixture that you can roll out and is not too wet so that you can cut out the shapes.

Place the scones onto a greased baking tray in the middle of an oven heated to 180oc/gas mark 4 for 10 minutes. I think it is nice to lightly glaze the scones before baking with milk or beaten egg and you get a nice top to them, but you don't have to. Leave to cool (if they don't get eaten first) on a rack, then cut in two, spread with a good dollop of clotted cream and strawberry jam and eat and enjoy and worry about the waistline another day.

Happy eating :)

No comments: